Wednesday 31 January 2024

State of Play

As my creaking old body approaches its 75th birthday, I've made some changes to my exercise regime. Having mislaid my pantyhose stretch band for a second time, I've taken to doing replacement isometric exercises. I'm finding these are working quite well and my legs are definitely feeling much stronger.

Balancing while standing on one leg for the count of fifty is another exercise for leg strength. Pushing away from the wall with my hands, front on and side on, helps to maintain upper body strength and step-ups provide aerobic exercise. I still go for walks of course but the step-ups are a good alternative if it's raining, if it's the wrong time of day or if I just don't feel like venturing out.

My neck is creaking and cracking and so I make sure to keep my flexibility in that area via neck rotations and various other stretching movements. Living in a house of steps is an added blessing and I keep busy in the garden and doing general cleaning around the house, both of which boost my fitness level. Overall, at the moment, I don't feel too bad. The discomfort in the area of my solar plexus has subsided a little and pain from my broken teeth is quiescent.

Figure 1 shows my median life expectancy based on 2016 data to be 87.17 years (using Wolfram Alpha). The prompt used was "life expectancy for an Australian male born April 3rd 1949":


Figure 1

We'll see about that. What was disturbing is Wolfram Alpha's low predictions for the length of life of Indonesians. Regardless of how long I last, I need to combine long periods of sitting with periods of physical activity. It's quite common for me to be seated watching episodes in a series for two or more hours. This must be balanced by physical activity of some form or another.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Ailments

For the past several weeks I've noticed a dull ache in the area of the right shoulder joint. It's most often noticeable when I'm...