Wednesday 29 May 2024

State of Play

I've made an appointment to have my decaying tooth on the right upper side either filled or extracted. It's only going to disintegrate eventually just as the one of my left upper side did some time ago. I felt that perhaps some bacteria was leaking into my bloodstream and exacerbating the autoimmune problems. 

I asked Google's Gemini: 

Is it possible that a decaying tooth could trigger an autoimmune response in the body? 

No, a decaying tooth itself wouldn't directly trigger a full-blown autoimmune response. Here's why:

Autoimmunity: Autoimmune diseases occur when the body's immune system mistakenly attacks healthy tissues.

Decaying Tooth: Tooth decay is caused by bacteria feeding on sugar and starches in your mouth, producing acid that eats away at the tooth enamel.

However, a decaying tooth can indirectly contribute to inflammation and potentially worsen existing autoimmune conditions:

Infection:  The bacteria that cause decay can spread through the tooth and into the gums, leading to an infection. This infection can trigger inflammation, a localized immune response.

Weakened Body:  Chronic inflammation from a dental infection can put stress on the body's immune system, potentially worsening symptoms of existing autoimmune conditions like Sjogren's syndrome (which affects saliva production) or rheumatoid arthritis.

Overall:

Decaying tooth -> bacterial infection -> inflammation (not full autoimmune response)

Inflammation can worsen existing autoimmune conditions.

So the tooth is probably not to blame for my current troubles but it's best to deal with as such decaying tooth can certainly spread bacteria around the body with unpredicable consequences. Meanwhile my autoimmune situation has become chronic and is proving quite debilitating. 

With difficulty, I'm walking around the block everyday just to keep up my mobility but the stiffness and soreness in my hands, feet and right shoulder are a constant. I'm not getting worse but then again I'm not getting better. This afternoon I felt especially bad and took one Ibuprofen and one Paracetamol. This gave me considerable relief and now, hours later, I still feel quite comfortable.

However, once the medication fully wears off, I'll probably be back to where I was. I still can't sleep in my bed and have resorted to spending the night on the sofa in the lounge room. I want to try some visualisation and self healing this evening in an effort to effect a cure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Urology Shivers: Why Cooler Temps Lead to Certain Urinary Conditions

Urology Shivers: Why Cooler Temps Lead to Certain Urinary Conditions This is the title of an article that sheds considerable light on my cu...