Friday 26 July 2024

Rheumatoid Arthritis

There's no doubt now that I am suffering from rheumatoid arthritis but not osteoarthritis which is characterised by degeneration of the cartilage of certain joints. My wrists, hands, shoulders, feet and sometimes other parts of my body are being attacked by my immune system to varying degrees, causing stiffness and pain.


The condition was definitely triggered by my fall about three months ago because prior to that I only had sporadic pain in my right shoulder and nowhere else. I'm not too troubled at the moment. The soreness and swelling in my left foot has subsided. There was one night when my wrists were causing me considerable discomfort. Ironically, this had been caused by finger exercises that I had been doing to ameliorate the stiffness in my fingers.

I have been walking between 2km and 4km a day, sometimes more, but I notice my knees are weaker than they used to be and sometimes hurt when I'm walking up stairs. I definitely need to resume by leg band exercises and squats. I just have to accept that the arthritis is not going away anytime soon. The more I can find out about the condition and how to manage it the better. This post was prompted by this YouTube video and is where the screenshot came from.

The body's decline creeps like a vine.
Day to day, the changes can be imperceptible.
You adapt. 
Then something happens that finally makes it clear
That things are no longer the same.

My condition is certainly not severe at the moment. There is no redness and swelling of the joints of my hands and certainly no deformities. Maybe that will come later. Maybe it won't. One thing is incontrovertible. My body is in decline. The price one pays for longevity. Fortunately, my mind seems largely intact. Let's hope that continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Urology Shivers: Why Cooler Temps Lead to Certain Urinary Conditions

Urology Shivers: Why Cooler Temps Lead to Certain Urinary Conditions This is the title of an article that sheds considerable light on my cu...