Saturday 27 May 2023

Overdoing It Yet Again

On September 17th 2022, I created a post titled Overdoing It and, well, the day before yesterday I overdid it yet again. I'd gone for an early morning walk and late in the afternoon my granddaughter was keen to go for a walk and so I joined her. However, for some odd reason, I set a blistering pace and paid the price.


Physics Humour

When I got back home, I almost immediately crashed and slept from about 5:30pm to midnight. I felt very weak when I did wake up and my chest was especially painful, even though I'd not done anything to aggravate it via lifting or pushing. This was a surprise and now, after a day of rest, I feel relatively fine. The finer I feel, the more inclined I am to push my physical limits. I still find it difficult to accept the limitations that my body is imposing on me.

If I persist in these recurrent over-exertions, it's likely that I'll simply drop dead sooner or later. What I should have done with my granddaughter is to have gone for a leisurely walk. As it was, she was struggling to keep up with me and she is twenty years old. A kind of madness overtakes me. Sometimes I even want to jog but I resist the temptation. I should be thankful that my 74 year old body has lasted this long and treat it more kindly.

Meanwhile I continue with my leg exercises every day, except when I'm recovering from my excesses, and I've added some balancing exercises. My neck swiveling is repeated several times during the day and I see this as very important. My thymoma, if that's what it is, flares up whenever I overdo things and provides a challenge to my powers of self healing. I believe I could heal myself if I could focus my awareness on my body via regular and intense meditation sessions. 

However, I exist largely in my head and my relationship with my body is not a harmonious one. I want my body to obey the demands I place on it and so it is a sort of master and slave relationship. Alas, the slave is growing weaker and more weary and soon the master will have no slave to command. Instead of doom scrolling on the Internet for a goodly portion of the day, I'd do better to extend the duration and frequency of gentle exercise and include some meditation or mindfulness sessions.


By the latter I mean, simply sitting and witnessing the activity of the mind and body and not being caught up in the flurry of thoughts that is constantly erupting in my head. Such activity needs to be made a part of my daily activity. Staying healthy, as this blog is titled, is not just above being physically healthy. Body and psyche are intertwined.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Ailments

For the past several weeks I've noticed a dull ache in the area of the right shoulder joint. It's most often noticeable when I'm...